Rossville, Georgia
4.4K views

There should be a law against Telecheck being allowed to deny checks without a means of telling the consumer why their check was denied. I just left Walmart in Fort Oglethorpe, where my check was denied with a code 4.

All the cashier could say, it is probably an issue with your bank. However, when I went home and accessed my account there was no issue. This is unlawful and embrassing....they should not have the right to turn a check down without providing a reason. I tried calling, as I was told to do by the cashier, but unable to reach a person.

Of course the only option available was calling more numbers that lead you no where. Basically they wanted me to pay for something I didn't owe.....I am not aware of any returned checks in which they would need to be collecting.

I have accounted for all my checks, which have cleared my account and there is way more than enough to have paid for the groceries I had to leave.

Comments

This happen to me today, and I have plenty of money in my account as well. I have never had an issue with writing a check at walmart but today it was declined by telecheck code 4 .

THESE PEOPLE WILL NOT BE GETTING ANY MONEY OUTTA ME OR MY BANK!!!!!!! THEY CAN TALK TO MY LAWYER FIRST!!!!!!

I went to Wal-Mart and my check was turned down by telecheck code 4. I finally got a hold of them.

This has never happened before, even when I sent my daughter to the store for me. Telecheck wants me to verify who I am, get a cover letter from the bank and my photo id and send it to a number, is this legal?

How about all of you old *** get with the times and use a card. Never been turned down for no reason with a card unless you don't have money.

to duh #1013865

even a debit card can be declined with or without money you fool checks are a lot better they leave an paper trail.

You do have legal rights under the Fair Credit Reporting Act and the Fair Debt Collections Practices Act. Problem is, most people don't know this.

Telecheck is required, by law, to operate under these laws. You have a right to obtain a copy of your "file". This file may help you understand why they are denying your check. They are required by law to have a 1-800 number for you to call to request a copy of your file.

I would suggest you go to their website, locate the 1-800 number, and request your file.

If there are errors, you have a legal right to dispute them. Hope this helps.

Yes, Telecheck declines checks for sometimes ridiculous and arbitrary reasons, however, this part of your complaint: "This is unlawful and embarrassing...they should not have the right to turn a check down without providing a reason" Excuse me? Check acceptance is not some kind of absolute right you have, it's solely at the discretion of the business.